Peking 7 june 2011
Here is a new article in “VOICES OF EUROPE”
“THE WISDOM OF A STEP BACK ON SCHENGEN AND THE REST”
We argue that giving up something on the “Schengen Agreement” is not a tragedy for the European Union, as which it is often portrayed.
Such a step back may rather be called a step of wisdom.
More of such steps-back for the European Union are suggested.
- … A step back from accession negotiations with Turkey ;
- …A step back from eurozone constraints, permitting a member to leave ;
- …A step back from transferring all losses on Greek bonds to national governments or to the European Union ;
- …For a few EU leaders a step back from discourtesy;
- …A step back from centralized EU diplomacy with major other powers (we propose a modest, practical alternative);
- …A step back from exclusive reliance on representational democracy in our nations and at the Union level. Direct democracy (people initiated referendums) is needed as a complement and as a corrective.
Are more steps back needed ? It is at least worth to consider that question.
Anyhow,the tabu of “always forward ” (and…enlarge !) has now been broken. Any living organism must adapt to circumstances. In the EU things have often been done without proper consideration of consequences. Perhaps the right moment has now come to take a few steps back
“reculer …..pour mieux sauter” .
That will help the EU to regain legitimacy.
(if you wish to UNSUBSCRIBE from messages in the future
please send a simple “NO” to firstname.lastname@example.org )